Areas of Interest
- Inclusive growth, urban inequality, Housing and urban analysis, Knowledge economy and regional growth, Resilience and water sensitive urbanisation, Urban and regional governance
|2020-08-10||Ongoing||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2014-03-31||6 years 4 months||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2009-06-01||1 year 3 months||Architect–Planner||Jacobs Engineering India Pvt. Ltd., Kolkata, India (CES India)|
|2006-11-01||8 months||Architect||United Credit Belani Properties Ltd., Kolkata, India|
|2005-07-01||1 year 3 months||Architect||Interdesign, Kolkata, India|
|2020-01-01||Ongoing||O.C. Time table||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
|2020-08-04||Ongoing||Professor in charge, UN-Habitat Partner University program||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2016-01-01||Ongoing||Member, Department academic programme committee||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
|2017-01-01||3 years||MURP Coordinator||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||2 years||Member, Department research committee||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
|2016-01-01||2 years||Coordinator, M. Tech programme||CTrans, IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||Ongoing||O.C. ITPI matters||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||3 years||O.C. Building & maintenance||Department of Architecture & Planning, IIT Roorkee|
Honors and Awards
|Institute Research Fellowship, Outstanding Young Faculty 2020||IIT Roorkee||2020|
|ASEM Duo-India Fellowship||Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Fellowship Program||2020|
|DAAD Fellowship||German Academic Exchange Service||2015|
|Best Poster Award||DWIH (German House of Research & Innovation)||2016|
|UN-Habitat Partner University program||The United Nations||2016|
|Best Paper Award||IBC||2016|
|MEXT Scholarship||Government of Japan||2010|
|PhD||Urban Planning||University of Tokyo||2013|
|Certificate in International Environmental Leadership||Asian Program for Incubation of Environmental Leadership, APIEL||University of Tokyo||2013|
|Master of City Planning||Urban Planning||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||2009|
|Bachelor of Architecture||Architecture||Jadavpur University||2005|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|PIVOT - Re-visioning peripheral geographies: Strategies for resilient urban development in the Global South||Royal Academy of Engineering, UK||2020-11||1 year|
|Connecting the urban and peri-urban: A transformative policy framework for inclusive and resilient u||GCRF-UKRI, UK||2020-01||Ongoing|
|Investigating social resilience for involuntary migrants internally displaced due to natural calamit||ICSSR||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Urban and Regional Inequality Modelling as Story-Telling: Using Simulation Models as Narrative||MHRD||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Impact of Land-Use Changes on Water Consumption Pattern in Urban Areas||SICI||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Investment in Knowledge & Innovation & its’ Impact on Knowledge Cluster & Networking in Indian City||DST||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Conservation of Traditional Buildings and Dissemination of Traditional Knowledge||MoEF&CC||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Smart Performance Roadmap for Airport Terminal Buildings in India||DST||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Comprehensive Capacity Building Program for AMRUT and Smart City Mission Cities||MoUD||2016-01||4 years 7 months|
|Framework to Manage Construction and Governance of Smart City Building in India||NBCC||2016-01||Ongoing|
|Measuring Inclusiveness of Indian Metropolitan Cities and Establish Inclusive Growth Index for India||IIT Roorkee||2014-01||6 years 7 months|
- Institute of Town Planners India , Associate
- Council of Architecture, India, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Regional planning||ARN 676||MURP||Spring|
|Infrastructure planning||ARN 654||MURP||Spring|
|Live Project/Studio/Seminar-II||ARN 415||B Arch||Autumn|
|Planning legislation & governance||ARN 661||MURP||Autumn|
|Building construction IV||ARN 303||B Arch||Autumn|
|Infrastructure planning & management||CTN 502||M Tech||Autumn|
|Working drawing||ARN 407||B Arch||Autumn|
|Architectural design III||ARN 202||B Arch||Spring|
|Planning studio II||ARN 652||MURP||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Planning for Sustainable Industrial Infrastructure in India focusing on Industrial Ecology||Mr. Kumar Abhishek||A||2015-07|
|A Framework to Manage Construction and Governance of Smart City Development in India||Mr. Kranti Kumar Maurya||A||2016-07|
|Formulation a Framework for Governance in Public Transport||Mr. Mohit Dev||A||2015-07|
|Location Choice of Knowledge Based Industry in India||Mr. Hariharan Arun Natarajan||A||2017-12-28|
|Performance Assessment of Green Spaces Against Pluvial Floods||Ms. Ankita Sood||O||2016-01|
|A Study on Spatial Differentiation of Internal Migrant's Housing Location in Urban India||Ms. Vanitha Putta||O||2017-07|
|Knowledge economy and development stress in the Neoliberal era||Mr. Sagar Sinha||O||2020-08|
|Urban resilience policy||Ms. Nikita Ranjan||O||2021-02|
|Metropolitan & Regional Development||Ms. Shraddha Pandit||O||2021-07|
|A Regionalisation Approach to Knowledge Based Development||Mr. Vibhore Bakshi||O||2021-08|
|Assessment of Housing Affordability in Million Plus Cities in India - A Case of Lucknow||Mr. Prabhat Rao||O||2015-07|
|Post-Disaster Recovery Process: A Human Centric Approach||Mr. Anshul Puriya||O||2016-07|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|National Conference on Sustainable Built Environment (SBE-I)||L&T Realty, BMTPC, DST & NBCC||2015-01|
|International Conference on Sustainable Built Environment (SBE-II)||Everest, BMTPC,||2017-01|
5. Biswas, A., Kidokoro, T., & Seta, F (Eds). (2022). Urban and regional inequality in the neoliberal era: A narrative on its implication in the developing economies of Asia, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group (upcoming).
4. Chatterjee, U., Biswas, A., Mukherjee, J., & Mahata, D. (Eds.). (2022). Sustainable Urbanism in Developing Countries. ISBN: 9780367643799, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group (upcoming).
3. Chatterjee, U., Biswas, A., Mukherjee, J., & Majumdar, S. (Eds.). (2022). Advances in Urbanism, Smart Cities and Sustainability. ISBN: 9780367641764, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group (upcoming).
2. Seta, F., Biswas, A., Sen, J., & Khare, A. (Eds.). (2017). From Poverty Inequality to Smart City. Singapore: Springer, DOI- 10.1007/978-981-10-2141-1.
1. Seta, F., Biswas, A., Sen, J., & Khare, A. (Eds.). (2017). Understanding Built Environment. Singapore: Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-2138-1.
5. Biswas, A., Koner, S & Singh, J. (2021). (Submitted) Gentrification and Spatial Inequality due to Knowledge Economy - The Case of Bangalore, India. In Banerji, P & Jana, A (Eds), Advances in Urban Design and Engineering - Perspectives from India. Springer Nature.
4. Sood, A., & Biswas, A. (2021). Conflict between Land Reclamation and Natural Channels: Case of Greater Mohali Region. In Bhunia, G. S, Chatterjee, U, Kashyap, A., & Shit, P (Eds), Land Reclamation and Restoration Strategies for Sustainable Development. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-823895-0.00031-2, Elsevier.
3. Biswas, A. (2021). A Framework for Resilient and Sustainable Post-Disaster Housing Strategies. In Knowledge Compendium on “Green Growth, Strategic Instruments & Carbon Neutrality", CAP-RES (National Institute of Disaster Management, India).
2. Biswas, A., & Dev, M. (2019). Collaboration among Informal Organizations to Manage Informal Urban Transport in Indian Cities. In D. Cepiku, S. Jeon, & D. K. Jesuit (Eds.), Collaborative Governance for Local Economic Development: Lessons from Countries around the World. CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group).
1. Biswas, A., & Maurya, K. (2018). Governance and Institutional Framework for Smart Cities in India. Mugambwa, J. and Katusiimeh, M. (Editors); . IGI Global, .
1. Biswas, A., & Dev, M. (2016). Country Report on national and regional planning framework and analysis of planning and development of NCR Delhi and Modinagar, India. Institute for Urban and Environmental Development (UED, Japan). Tokyo: Institute for Urban and Environmental Development.
Refereed Journal Papers
27. Biswas, A., Ramesh, G., Kumar, S., & Sankhla, R. (2022). Visualize the Diversity of Street Activities and its Contextual Settings in Indian Cities. International Review for Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development (accepted).
26. Natarajan, A., & Biswas, A. (2021). Global Advantage of Bangalore as a Location Choice for Knowledge-Based Industries in India. Regional Science Policy & Practice, Wiley-Blackwell (Accepted).
25. Biswas, A.(2021). Continuity in Tradition – A Narrative on the Cultural Heritage of Para and Adda in Kolkata. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Urban Design and Planning (The United Kingdom), ICE Publishing, https://doi.org/10.1680/jurdp.21.00016.
24. Biswas, A., & Gangwar, D. (2020). Studying the Water Crisis in Delhi due to Rapid Urbanisation and Land Use Transformation. International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, Taylor & Francis, https://doi.org/10.1080/19463138.2020.1858423.
23. Dev, M., & Biswas, A. (2020). Studying Operational Dynamics of Public Bus System: A Case of Lucknow City, India. Transportation Research Procedia, Elsevier, 48, pp. 3211–3222, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2020.08.159.
22. Natarajan, A., & Biswas, A. (2020). Global recognition of India's knowledge-based industry evolution through empirical analysis. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, doi.org/10.1007/s13132-020-00673-x.
21. Dev, M., & Biswas, A. (2020). Studying the institutional framework for public transport system in Jaipur, India. Smart and Sustainable Built Environment (Emerald), https://doi.org/10.1108/SASBE-01-2020-0003.
20. Natarajan, A., & Biswas, A. (2020). A temporal review of global recognition of India's knowledge-based industry through an institutional viewpoint. Regional Science Policy & Practice (Wiley-Blackwell), https://doi.org/10.1111/rsp3.12310.
19. Maurya, K. K., & Biswas, A. (2020). Performance assessment of governance in Indian smart city development. Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, Emerald, DOI: 10.1108/SASBE-04-2019-0045.
18. Biswas, A. (2020). Establishing metropolitan governance within the independent local governments: Lesson from India’s 74th constitutional amendment act, Journal of Urban Management, Elsevier, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jum.2020.06.002.
17. Biswas, A., & Puriya, A. (2020). A Comparative Assessment of Indian Post-Disaster Temporary Housing Strategies. ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering (American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE)), 26 (1), https://doi:10.1061/(ASCE)AE.1943-5568.0000386.
16. Natarajan, A., & Biswas, A. (2019). A Critical review of the Indian Knowledge-based industry location policy against its theoretical arguments. Regional Science Policy & Practice, 12 (3), 431-454, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/rsp3.12257.
15. Mittal, S., & Biswas, A. (2019). Exploring Transportation Demand Management as a Strategy to Decongest Indian Cities and Improve Mobility. International review for spatial planning and sustainable development. 7 (4), 185-211. https://doi.org/10.14246/irspsda.7.4_185.
14. Biswas, A. (2019). Why Indian cities are so chaotic? Decoding from the expressions of Chandigarh. Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, 8 (5), 438-456, DOI 10.1108/SASBE-05-2018-0023.
13. Biswas, A., Mittal, S., & Padmakar, S. (2019). Why People Refrain from Cycling in Indian Cities? A Comparative Investigation. International Review for Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development, 7 (3), 111-130. https://doi.org/10.14246/irspsda.7.3_111.
12. Biswas, A., Kidokoro, T., & Seta, F. (2019). Metropolitan governance and local decentralisation in India: Case of Chennai and Kolkata metropolitan regions. Asia-Pacific Journal of Regional Science, 3 (3), 675-696. DOI 10.1007/s41685-019-00115-w.
11. Biswas, A. (2019). Exploring Indian Post-Disaster Temporary Housing Strategy through a Comparative Review. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment, 10 (1), 14-35, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJDRBE-09-2018-0037.
10. Biswas, A. (2019). A Framework to Analyse Inclusiveness of Urban Policy. Cities, 87, 174-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2018.09.022
9. Abhishek, K., & Biswas, A. (2018). Practices in sustainable industrial infrastructure and technology: A case study of Gujarat, India, International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7 (4), 4164-4169, doi:10.14419/ijet. v7i4.20503.
8. Abhishek, K. & Biswas, A. (2017). Guidelines for Physical Infrastructure in Industrial Area Planning: A Review of the Indian Context. Journal for Studies in Management and Planning, 3 (13), 269-278, DOI: https://doi.org/10.26643/JSMaP.3.13.2017.
7. Biswas, A., Kidokoro, T., & Seta , F. (2017). Analysis of Indian urban policies to identify their potential of achieving inclusive urban growth. Urban Research & Practice , 10 (2), 198-227, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17535069.2016.1205653.
6. Biswas, A. (2016). Insight on the Evolution and Distinction of Inclusive Growth. Development in Practice, 26 (4), 503-516, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2016.1167169.
5. Biswas, A. (2015). Smart City as the Engine of Sustainable Growth. Journal of Indian Building Congress, 22 (1), 53-58.
4. Talabathula, M. R., & Biswas, A. (2015). Exploring the Smart City Paradigm in the Context of Urban India. Journal of Indian Building Congress, 22 (1), 63-72.
3. Chattopadhyay, S., & Biswas, A. (2010). Slum improvement through legal framework in India. International Journal for Housing Science, 34 (2), 139-150.
2. Biswas, A. (2008). Research Techniques in Housing. Journal of the Indian Institute of Architects. New Delhi: IIA.
1. Biswas, A. (2005). A Bio‐Climatic College Campus in a Hot Humid Zone. Journal of the Indian Institute of Architects. New Delhi: IIA.
34. Rao, P K., & Biswas, A., (2021). Access to Housing Finance and Housing Affordability in India. International Conference on Future is Urban (ICFU 21), December 16 - 18, Nirma University, India.
33. Putta, V., & Biswas, A., (2021). Understanding characteristics and role of spatial residential segregation for inclusive development in urban areas: A comparative study, International Conference 2021 on Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development, November 25-27, Nanjing University, China.
32. Rao, P K., & Biswas, A., (2021). Measuring Housing Affordability Using Residual Income Method for Million-plus Cities in India. Madrigal, J M P., & Nikoofam, M., (Ed), ISBN: 978-605-06780-6-2 (online), 4th International Conference of Contemporary Affairs on Architecture and Urbanism (ICCAUA-2021), pp. 75, 20-21 May, 2021, Alanya, Turkey.
31. Rajendran, L P., Maidment, C., Biswas, A., Chander, S., Srinivas, S., Roy, & M R., Shree, K., (2021). Reimagining Peripheral Geographies: A Dual Lens Approach to Examine Peri-Urban Dynamics in India. Urban ARC 2021. 14-16 January 2021, Bengaluru: IIHS.
30. Biswas, A. (2020). Settlement strategy in the coast – The adaptation and changes needed in the uncertain future. in Proceedings of the DAAD International Conference on Climate Change Adaptation: Evidences from Best Practice in Coastal Areas, 4-5 December, 2020, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
29. Dev, M. & Biswas, A. (2020). Institutional Dynamics of Public Transport System: A Case Study of Jaipur City, India. in Proceedings of TRA2020, 8th Transport Research Arena 2020. Lusikka Toni (Ed), ISSN (online) 2669-8781, ISBN (online) 978-952-311-484-5, Helsinki, Finland.
28. Sood, A. & Biswas, A. (2019). Comparative analysis of differently vegetated green swales for pluvial flood mitigation. 8th APHW International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Urban Water Management. IIT Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India.
27. Biswas, A., Hariharan, A. N., & Koner, S. (2019). The Narratives of Location Choice of Knowledge-Based Industries: The Case of Bengaluru Metropolitan Region. 3rd Asian Regional Conference on Peri-Urbanization. Bhopal, India.
26. Biswas, A., Ramesh, G., Kumar, S., & Sankhla, R. (2019). Using Narratives and Storytelling to Visualize Tales of an Indian Urban Streetscape in a Commercial District. In T. Mrdjenovic (Ed.), Decoding Balkan: Architecture, Urbanism, Planning (pp. 100-108). Belgrade : University of Belgrade - Faculty of Architecture .
25. Putta, V., & Biswas, A. (2019). Challenges in tracing the movement of people: An overview of tools and approaches in migration research. RC21(In and Beyond the City: Emerging Ontologies, Persistent Challenges and Hopeful Futures). New Delhi: Universitat de Barcelona.
24. Maurya, K. K., & Biswas, A. (2019). Convergence of urban governance and development network for Indian cities. RC21(In and Beyond the City: Emerging Ontologies, Persistent Challenges and Hopeful Futures). New Delhi: Universitat de Barcelona.
23. Dev, M., & Biswas, A. (2019). Studying Operational Dynamics of Public Bus System: A Case of Lucknow City, India. World Conference on Transport Research - WCTR 2019. Mumbai : Elsevier.
22. Maurya, K. K., & Biswas, A. (2019). The Rationale of SPV in Indian Smart City Development. In B. Donnellan, C. Klein, & M. Helf (Ed.), Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Smart Cities and Green ICT Systems (pp. 143-150). Crete: SCITE Press.
21. Biswas, A., & Natrajan, A. H. (2019). Studying the Location Pattern of Knowledge Clusters and Networks and its’ Influence in an Urban Region. Urban ARC 2019. January 10 - January 12, 2019, Bengaluru: IIHS.
20. Puriya, A., & Biswas, A. (2018). A Modified Need Assessment Method in Post-disaster Recovery Processes. 8th International Conference on Building Resilience. Lisbon: University of Lisbon.
19. Biswas, A., & Putta, V. (2018). Economic Segregation and Housing Price Variation in Peri-Urban Areas of the Metropolitan Cities in India. The 2nd Asian Regional Conference on Peri-Urbanization. November 8 – November 10, 2018. Busan: Pusan National University,.
18. Biswas, A. & Puriya, A. (2018). Planning and design interventions for post disaster temporary housing in India. 4th Residential Building Design & Construction Conference, February 28 – March 01, Pennsylvania State University.
17. Biswas, A., & Pawar, P. A. (2017). Evaluation of people’s well-being at an integrated watershed management area in Maharashtra state of India. XVI Biennial Conference of International Association for the Study of the Commons, July 14-17, 2017, Utrecht, https://www.iasc2017.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Biswas.pdf.
16. Biswas, A., & Chaudhary, R. (2016). A Planning & Architectural Intervention with Work-Living Solution For Migrants/Refugees In Cities. DWIH Conference: CityScape. New Delhi: German House of Research & Innovation .
15. Biswas, A. (2016). A Capability Based Approach in Identifying Housing Affordability for Urban Poor in India. Proceedings of 3rd Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, (pp. 328-339), http://www.phrc.psu.edu/assets/docs/Publications/2016RBDCCPapers/Biswas-2016-RBDCC.pdf.
14. Mukherjee, M., Roy, U., Biswas, A., Arora, K., De, B., & Srivastava, A. (2016). Changing Paradigms of Affordable Housing in Independent India. Proceedings of 3rd Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, (pp. 410-428), http://www.phrc.psu.edu/assets/docs/Publications/2016RBDCCPapers/Mukherjee-2016-RBDCC.pdf.
13. Biswas, A., Kidokoro, T., & Seta , F. (2013). Evolution of Indian Urban Policy From Pro-Poor Growth Principles to Inclusive Growth. Proceedings International Conference on Information and Social Science. Nagoya.
12. Biswas, A., Hoshiko, T., & Kyoung Jin, A. (2013). Incubation of Environmental Leadership Skills through Education & Training by Analysing Water Resource Management of Bangkok, Thailand. Proceedings of SDS 2013 – Sustainable Development Symposium. Naples: University of Naples.
11. Biswas, A., & Kidokoro, T. (2012). Towards Inclusive Development from Dispersed Regional Economic Growth & Inequality: Possibilities and Trends of Indian Urbanization. Proceedings of PlanoCosmo International Conference, (pp. 17-31 (IIA)). Bandung.
10. Biswas, A., Kidokoro, T., & Onishi (2012), T. An Insight of Metropolitan Planning and Governance in India. Proceedings of the 10th Conference of Asian City Planning (pp. 1-9): ACP.
9. Biswas, A., Boonyaroj, V., Denpetkul, T., Zhirong, H., Kobayashi, H., Kyoungjin, A., et al. (2011). Improving Quality of Life of Bangkok’s Citizen through sustainable water use and management. 9th International symposium on south-east Asian water environment, (pp. 103-108).
8. Biswas, A., & Kidokoro, T. (2011). The role of Urban Governance for Sustainable Development in India. Proceedings of 11th APSA International Congress (pp. 358-364). APSA.
7. Biswas, A. (2010). The Spatial Evolution of Sustainability in Urban Growth: Measurement, Analysis and Approach for South - East Region of Kolkata, India. 9th Conference on Asian City Planning (pp. 7-14). Tokyo: ACP.
6. Biswas, A., & Chattopadhyay, S. (2008). Slum Improvement through Legal Framework in India. 36th IAHS World Congress on Housing . Kolkata.
5. Gupta, R., & Biswas, A. (2006). Water For The Villages In The Coast-A Blue Print For Sustainable Development In Deltaic Sundarban. 4th World Water Forum 4, March 16-22, Mexico City.
4. Biswas, A., Gupta, R., & Das, S. (2006). Rangabelia-Hope in the deltas. 4th World water forum. Mexico city.
3. Gupta, R., & Biswas, A. (2005). An Experiment in Sustainable Construction, Case Study ‐ Madhusthaly School, India. Sustainable building construction in South-East Asia. Kuala Lumpur.
2. Biswas, A., & Gupta, R. (2004). Sustainable Micro Water Resource Management in Urban Areas ‐The Gariahat Shopping Mall ‐ A Case in Point. 14th World water week - SIWI. Stockholm.
1. Gupta, R., & Biswas, A. (2004). Alternative Water Resource Management in Urban Areas. APHW. Singapore.